Chapter Website Update
Our new websites are launching soon! In preparation, we would like to include a short “about us section” for each Varsity and Bascom chapter website. Please send your chapter representative a short description (450 characters or less) about your chapter and scholarship by December 15.
All recognized chapters will have a contact listed on the WAA website. In order for your information to be listed, please submit your board roster by the end of the year if you have not done so yet.
Game Watch Update
With the recent announcement of Badger football starting at the end of October, many chapters have reached out inquiring about game watches. We believe it’s important to stay vigilant regarding the health and safety of our alumni and communities. WFAA, including the chapter network, will continue connecting with alumni and friends in a virtual-only format until at least January 2021; this will include chapter-sponsored game watch events.
If your chapter plans to host a virtual game watch event this season, please submit an event request above to provide an event description and links. For all games, virtual game watch requests are due no later than 12 p.m. CST on the Monday before the game.
It is hard to believe, but we are just months away from a new scholarship season. Here is the timeline for your reference:
- January 1: Deadline to deposit money into scholarship funds
- February 15–March 15: Chapter Scholarship Committee to review applicant data
- March 16: Deadline to submit awardees and alternates to WAA via online form
- March 16–21: Notify awardees and alternates
- May 1: Commitment Day!
It’s official! The Badgers’ season opener against Illinois kicked off Friday, Oct. 23, at 7 p.m. — right after Badger Leaders Conference. While there will be no fans at Camp Randall this fall, we have plenty of ways for alumni to keep their Badger spirits high from the safety and comfort of home. Share these opportunities with your chapter region on social media:
BADGER HUDDLE® Armchair Pregame — Promote this spirited video series, presented by the Wisconsin Alumni Association, to help your local alumni fill that Motion W–sized void in their hearts while keeping a safe and healthy distance. Episodes will arrive in the weeks following Homecoming.
Bucky Boards — Wish you could be at Camp Randall to show the team your support? With a Bucky Board fan cutout, you can still show your Badger pride (and your smiling face) inside the stadium.
Bucky’s Kids Club — Are your alumni looking for ways to keep their kids connected to the Badgers this fall? Tell them about the revamped Bucky’s Kids Club, featuring activity packets and fun events for families to enjoy together.
We have been so impressed with the creativity of chapters around the world as they create virtual events to engage area alumni. In an effort to share these ideas and concepts, we have created a best practices document based on past virtual events. If your chapter hosts a virtual event, please expect a brief survey from your chapter representative to share details about your event. Thank you all for your ongoing enthusiasm, creativity, and engagement during these challenging times.
The Wisconsin Alumni Association is hard at work planning virtual opportunities to connect in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Our organization will work to offer delightful diversions and important information to our alumni and friends in innovative new ways — while not meeting in person through the end of the year.
The UW Now Livestream events have been covering the timeliest subjects in the COVID-19 era with UW-specific expertise and exploring our favorite Badger traditions . We’re also creating ways to connect our alumni to campus with virtual backgrounds, and take you for a walk down memory lane with new online Badger Scrapbooks. You can catch up on the news of the week with a new #UWWeekinReview on Instagram, and we’ve got plenty more programming in the works.
As always, if you have questions or would like to learn more about these virtual opportunities, reach out to your chapter representative.
Chapter Leader Handbook
Local alumni chapters have been an integral part of the Wisconsin Alumni Association® since the first chapter was founded in 1900 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Chapters remain vitally important in supporting an international network through which alumni can stay engaged and connected and can give back to the university.
The mission of Wisconsin Alumni Association (WAA) chapters is to:
- Welcome: be accessible, hospitable, and responsive
- Connect: serve as a social and professional hub
- Support: encourage alumni to support the UW
- Start a Chapter
- Calendar of Events, Deadlines, and Reminders
- Team Organizational Chart (PDF)
- Position Descriptions — President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer
- Team Descriptions — Athletics Team, Awards and Recognition Team, Communications Team, Events Team, Fundraising Team, Professional Networking Team, Scholarship Team, Social Events Team
- Volunteer Recruiting Quick Guide (PDF)
- Chapter Leader Handbook — Online Version or PDF Version
- Example of Chapter Bylaws
- Code of Ethics
- Volunteer Confidentiality Agreement (PDF)
- Liability Factors for Chapters
- WFAA Chapter Event General Release (PDF)
- Wisconsin Alumni Association Alcohol Policy
- Volunteer Alumni Dispute Resolution Policy
- Memorabilia Information and Disclaimer
- Guidelines For Using Bucky Badger Imagery
Events and Programs
- General Event Planning Timeline
- Registration Quick Guide
- Founders’ Day Guide
- Badger Student Send-Off Celebration Quick Guide
- Student Scholarship Award Template (PPT Download)
- Chapter Scholarship Gift Form Request
- Badger Cafe Quick Guide (PDF)
- Chapter Nametags — Printer Template (Word Doc) and Instructions (PDF)
- Chapter Member Recognition Certificate — Learn More
- Badger of the Year Award — Learn More
- Presidents’ Circle of Excellence Award — Learn More
- Lifetime Achievement Award — Learn More
Other Alumni Awards
Scholarship Training Series
Throughout the month of September, we will host a special training series focusing on chapter scholarships and fundraising. Every Wednesday at 3 p.m. CDT, we will discuss topics to help you better support and sustain your chapter scholarship program. Please share this information with your scholarship and fundraising committees, and encourage all to attend. Registration will be required for each session. Registrants will receive a confirmation email containing a link to the session(s) they have registered to attend.
- September 2: Goal Setting for Chapter Scholarships and Fundraising
- Watch Now
- Meeting Password: Ehaectm6
- September 9: Fundraising Basics
- Watch Now
- Meeting Password: cMyPR44x
- September 16: How to Steward and Cultivate Donors
- Watch Now
- Meeting Password: kQRrrT2t
- September 23: Leveraging WAA Fundraising Support*
- Watch Now
- Meeting Password: wYZymZG4
- September 30: Tips, Tools, and Resources
- Watch Now
- Meeting Password: KtCUqRE3
Monthly Chapter Leader Call
September 2020 – Scholarship Training Series: Leveraging WAA Fundraising Support
August 2020 – Fundraising and Website Update
July 2020 – Student Welcome Virtual Event
June 2020 – Student Welcome Virtual Event and Day of the Badger Update
March 2020 – COVID-19
April 2019 – Student Send Off
June 2018 – Welcome to the City and Badger Bridge Chapter Leader Group
March 2018 – Call hosted by Purnita Howlader, WAA: Washington, DC Chapter president
September 2017 – Campus Update
August 2017 – Registration and Fall Updates
July 2017 – Welcome to the City and Fall Events
June 2017 – WFAA 2.0
April 2017 – Student Send-off Preperation
March 2017 – Updates on current enrollment trends.
January 2017 – Founders’ Day Best Practices and Awards
December 2016 – Chapter Website Updates
October 2016 – Founders’ Day 2017 Prep
September 2016 – Admissions Update
August 2016 – RE-Wisconsin, Annual Reports, Badger Bridge Chapter Competition
July 2016 – President’s Council Challenge, Welcome to the City
June 2016 – President’s Council Challenge, Chapter Leader Handbook, The Red Shirt Showdown, Scholarship Update
May 2016 – Student Send-Offs and scholarships
February 2016 – Update from campus Admissions
January 2016 – Founders’ Day messaging
October 2015 – Athletics policies and deadlines
September 2015 – Chapter framework and mission: Welcome, Connect, Support
August 2015 – Welcome to the City
Thank you so much for attending Badger Leaders Conference 2020, if you missed the conference or need a refresher, please find the presentations and recordings below.
Badger Leaders Conference 2020: Domestic
Board Transitions and Onboarding
WFAA and University Updates
Badger Leaders Conference 2020: International
Session 1: Building Your International Chapter Network and Experiences & Challenges of a New Chapter
Session 2: The Power of Big 10 Collaborations and How to Find & Stay Connected to Alumni in Your Area
Session 3: Supporting Future Badgers
General Chapter Questions
Please direct chapter-related questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Domestic Chapter Questions
- Angela Lillethun ’95, Director of Regional Relations & Volunteer Management
- Nancy Powell, Geographic Outreach Manager
- Nathalie McFadden ‘14 , Chapter and Regional Relations Manager
International Chapter Questions
- Lora Klenke ’94, Managing Director, International Alumni Relations
- Aly Theder ‘16 , Program Coordinator
Events and Registration
- Michael O’Brien ’13, Senior Registration Coordinator