Recent Changes to the Chapter Scholarship Program
The Chapter Scholarship Program is undergoing major changes. Chapters are encouraged to continue to offer their own scholarship programs, but the match is being phased out over a period of three years. For a brief summary of these changes, read these answers to frequently asked questions.
October Chapter Leader Call
The next chapter-leader conference call will be Wednesday, Oct. 24, at 3 p.m. central time. We be discussing Founders’ Day 2019. If you have any questions prior, please email them to Jesse James White.
Annual Reports Due Oct. 1
Annual reports are required for chapters seeking Varsity or Bascom status. Other materials you may need to submit include:
- Board roster updates (Who needs it: all chapters)
- Treasurers’ report (Who needs it: chapters looking to keep or obtain Bascom status)
- Data agreement (Who needs it: chapter leaders who need access to alumni and/or student data)
Please reach out to your chapter representative if you have any questions about annual report requirements.
Founders’ Day Topic Requests Due November 15
Start planning for 2019 Founders’ Day season! This year we are providing a more comprehensive list of topic ideas that will align your Founders’ Day event to better support university priorities. UW Changes Lives through life changing research, affordable and accessible world-class education, service and outreach to Wisconsin citizen, and innovation and economic development. Please complete the submission form no later than November 15. If you have questions, please contact your chapter representative.
Spring Chapter Scholarship Submissions
Submit Your Football Game Watch Details
The Badger football season is upon us. Be sure to submit your game-watch schedule.
Badger Leaders Conference
This is the conference you’ve been waiting for. This event is about you, our chapter leaders. Learn tips and techniques for advancing your chapter’s goals, build leadership skills, network with other chapter leaders, celebrate your shared Badger spirit, and more.
Register by October 10, 2018. The fee is $25, which includes admittance to the Welcome and Scholarship Reception on Thursday, a full day of conference events with breakfast and lunch on Friday, and a tailgate on Saturday. Tickets are available at an additional cost for you to bring a guest to the Thursday reception and Saturday tailgate, and a limited number of tickets to Saturday’s football game against Illinois are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Registration for the 2018 Badger Leader Conference is now closed.
Schedule of Events
Thursday, Oct. 18 | Welcome and Scholarship Reception
University Club | 803 State Street
- 5–6:30 p.m. — Reception
Friday, Oct. 19 | Conference Day
Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery | 330 N. Orchard Street
- 8–9:50 a.m. — Conference kickoff and breakfast
- 10–11:45 a.m. — Breakout sessions
- 11:45 a.m.–1 p.m. — Lunch
- 1–1:45 p.m. — Breakout sessions
- 2-3 p.m. — Conference wrap up
- 5:30 p.m. — Homecoming parade
Saturday, Oct. 20 | Tailgate and Homecoming Game
Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery | 330 N. Orchard StreetCamp Randall | 1440 Monroe Street
- 8:30–10:30 a.m. — Tailgate
- 11 a.m. — Wisconsin vs. Illinois football game
Visit the UW Homecoming page to check out and register for other great events that will be going on around campus that weekend, including a Wisconsin Fish Fry, the UW Homecoming Parade, UW Homecoming Block Party, and more. These spirited events are fun and affordable — and many are even free!
Check out these or other hotels in the area.
Hilton Madison Monona Terrace
The Doubletree Hotel
Please feel free to contact your chapter representative or Jesse James White with any questions.
Chapter Leader Handbook
Local alumni chapters have been an integral part of the Wisconsin Alumni Association® since the first chapter was founded in 1900 in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Chapters remain vitally important in supporting an international network through which alumni can stay engaged and connected and can give back to the university.
The mission of Wisconsin Alumni Association (WAA) chapters is to:
- Welcome: be accessible, hospitable, and responsive
- Connect: serve as a social and professional hub
- Support: encourage alumni to support the UW
- Start a Chapter
- Calendar of Events, Deadlines, and Reminders
- Team Organizational Chart (PDF)
- Position Descriptions — President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer
- Team Descriptions — Athletics Team, Awards and Recognition Team, Communications Team, Events Team, Fundraising Team, Professional Networking Team, Scholarship Team, Social Events Team
- Volunteer Recruiting Quick Guide (PDF)
- Chapter Leader Handbook — Online Version or PDF Version
- Example of Chapter Bylaws
- Volunteer Confidentiality Agreement (PDF)
- Liability Factors for Chapters
- WFAA Chapter Event General Release (PDF)
- Wisconsin Alumni Association Alcohol Policy
- Volunteer Alumni Dispute Resolution Policy
- Memorabilia Information and Disclaimer
- Guidelines For Using Bucky Badger Imagery
Events and Programs
- General Event Planning Timeline
- Registration Quick Guide
- Founders’ Day Guide
- Badger Student Send-Off Celebration Quick Guide
- Welcome to the City Quick Guide
- Student Scholarship Quick Guide
- Chapter Scholarship Gift Form Request
- Badger Cafe Quick Guide (PDF)
- Chapter Nametags — Printer Template (Word Doc) and Instructions (PDF)
Monthly Chapter Leader Call
June 2018 – Welcome to the City and Badger Bridge Chapter Leader Group
March 2018 – Call hosted by Purnita Howlader, WAA: Washington, DC Chapter president
September 2017 – Campus Update
August 2017 – Registration and Fall Updates
July 2017 – Welcome to the City and Fall Events
June 2017 – WFAA 2.0
April 2017 – Student Send-off Preperation
March 2017 – Updates on current enrollment trends.
January 2017 – Founders’ Day Best Practices and Awards
December 2016 – Chapter Website Updates
October 2016 – Founders’ Day 2017 Prep
September 2016 – Admissions Update
August 2016 – RE-Wisconsin, Annual Reports, Badger Bridge Chapter Competition
July 2016 – President’s Council Challenge, Welcome to the City
June 2016 – President’s Council Challenge, Chapter Leader Handbook, The Red Shirt Showdown, Scholarship Update
May 2016 – Student Send-Offs and scholarships
February 2016 – Update from campus Admissions
January 2016 – Founders’ Day messaging
October 2015 – Athletics policies and deadlines
September 2015 – Chapter framework and mission: Welcome, Connect, Support
August 2015 – Welcome to the City
General Chapter Questions
Please direct chapter-related questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Domestic Chapter Questions
- Angela Lillethun ’95, Director of Regional Relations & Volunteer Management
- Nancy Powell, Geographic Outreach Manager
- Jesse White, Chapter and Regional Relations Manager
International Chapter Questions
- Lora Klenke ’94, Managing Director, International Alumni Relations
- Jenna Furger, Program Coordinator
Web and Email
- Sam Ryan ’10, Senior Digital Producer
Events and Registration
- Michael O’Brien ’13, Senior Registration Coordinator