HLAA has the following objectives toward the greater mission of advancing higher education within our communities and association among ourselves:
- Promote a positive image of the university in the Hispanic Latino community and among its Hispanic Latino alumni.
- Promote programs to recruit and retain Hispanic Latino students at UW-Madison.
- Raise funds for scholarships and projects that will further the goals of HLAA.
- Sponsor and coordinate activities that support the academic and professional development of the Hispanic Latino alumni, faculty, students, and staff of UW-Madison.
- Evaluate the university policies, programs, and procedures that affect Hispanic Latino alumni, faculty, and students.
- Provide opportunities to promote friendships and to network among alumni through special events, such as Homecoming and summer Hispanic Latino festivals.
In 1991, a group of very committed alumni organized the Hispanic Latino Alumni Committee to work with the Wisconsin Alumni Association is establishing a Hispanic Latino alumni organization that would be recognized by, and affiliated with, the university. In 1994, WAA’s executive committee officially recognized the Hispanic Latino Alumni Association as an affiliated special interest group, which provided HLAA with the opportunity to appoint a representative to WAA’s national board of directors.
- The coordinating committee builds a strong relationship with WAA and coordinates the activities of the other committees.
- The membership committee recruits active Hispanic Latino alumni to participate in HLAA.
- The planning/event committee plans HLAA’s annual summer event and annual Homecoming reunion.
- The scholarship/fundraising committee chooses scholarship recipients and fundraising activities for HLAA’s annual events.
Through the matching dollar scholarship program, the Hispanic Latino Alumni Association awards scholarships each year to current or incoming Hispanic/Latino students. The group typically awards two scholarships per year. Donate to the Matching Dollar scholarship fund.