WAA Membership Required
Grandparents University is an exclusive benefit for WAA members. The email inviting participants to register will go only to WAA members on the GPU mailing list. That means that if your spouse or grandchild’s parent or guardian is a WAA member, that person will receive the email inviting him or her to register. That person’s membership number will be included in the email for convenience.
During registration, we’ll ask for a valid WAA membership number from someone in your family, and the membership number you plan to use for GPU registration must be active on February 20, 2018. WAA membership is open to anyone. You can learn more about becoming a member or renew your membership at uwalumni.com/membership.
Important Dates to Remember
- February 6 — Last day to be added to the mailing list.
- February 19 — Registration email to all WAA members on the mailing list at approx. 9 a.m. CT
Registration is a one-phase process. All registration options (majors, housing, etc.) will be selected and paid for on the day of registration. Click here to view the GPU registration step-by-step guide.
WAA members who have added their names to the GPU mailing list will receive an email on February 19, 2019 at approximately 9 a.m. CT inviting them to register. Space is limited, so registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis . (Please note that if you are already logged in to your email at that time, you will need to refresh your browser in order to see the invitation email.)
The email will take you to a registration form where we’ll ask you to:
- Select the session you wish to attend (Session I, Session II, or Session III).
- Rank your major preferences (1 through 6).
- Sign up for field trips. (Please note that unlike majors, field trips are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.)
- Provide basic information (name, etc.) for all participants.
- Provide T-shirt size for all participants.
- Pay the program fees for all grandparents and grandchildren who are registered, as well as any additional add-ons, such as overnight accommodations at Ogg Hall and parking permits. For more information about these options, please visit the Hospitality page.
To secure your registration, you must pay online. WAA cannot accept checks for GPU registration.
Below are program fees based on your lodging choice:
|One Night||Two Nights||No overnight stay|
|Adult, Program only||X||X||$210|
|Child, Program only||X||X||$155|
Only credit card payments can be accepted. We cannot accept checks.
- You will use your WAA registration ID to register. This will be included in your in your email inviting you to register.
- You should register the oldest attending grandchild as the “primary” grandchild.
- Families with multiple grandchildren and grandparents who wish to have separate majors must fill out separate registration forms. Remember that all children must be accompanied by at least one grandparent at all times.
The grandparent who is registered as the “primary grandparent” will receive an email during the week of April 23, 2018, followed by a mailed letter, which will contain:
- Information about your major.
- A registration summary.
- A link to the required consent forms for all grandparents and grandchildren.
We always do our best to place participants in their preferred majors, but due to high demand, this is not always possible. All majors are subject to a seniority-based placement process.
Seniority-based placement process: Seniority is determined by adding together the grandchild’s age, the number of past GPU sessions that a grandchild has attended, and the number of past GPU sessions that a grandparent has attended (not counting this registration period). For example: Ben is 9 years old and has attended one session of GPU. His grandmother has attended three GPU sessions, so Ben’s seniority number is 13 (9+1+3).
Preference during major placement will be given to registrants with higher seniority numbers. This system is used so that repeat attendees and older children who are closer to ineligibility will have the most flexibility in choosing their majors. This is why you should register the grandchild with the most seniority as the “primary” grandchild.
Most GPU majors stay the same from year to year. Sometimes it takes a year or two before your grandchild’s seniority number is high enough to get into your first-choice major. Our program staff and volunteers strive to ensure that every major is engaging and fun for all, so even if you aren’t placed in your top choice, please know that you will still have a special, rewarding experience with your grandchild — and you’ll both learn something new!
You must select majors that are within your grandchild’s age range. For a list of majors, click here.
You must cancel your registration by Thursday, June 6, 2019, to receive a refund, minus a $50 administrative fee. Cancellations received after the deadline will not be eligible for a refund. In the event of a family emergency, however, special arrangements will be considered.