Contact: Laurel Brueselhoff, UW Homecoming Committee, (651) 357-6791
MADISON, Wis. — Some major downtown streets will be closed Friday, Oct. 24, for the annual UW Homecoming Parade. For the safety of parade participants and spectators, road closures will be in effect throughout the afternoon into the evening.
The parade will begin at 6 p.m. Floats will make their way from the 600 block of Wisconsin Avenue to West Gilman Street to the 500 and 600 blocks of State Street. Absolutely no traffic will be permitted to enter this route during the parade.
Commuters, students and community members should be aware of these parade-related conditions:
- Langdon Street from Lake Street to Wisconsin Avenue will be blocked off with barricades from 4 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- The 600 block of Lake Street will be closed to traffic from 4 p.m. until 8:30 p.m.
The following streets and intersections will be blocked off with no traffic going through from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.:
- 600 block of Wisconsin Avenue
- 500 and 600 blocks of North Carroll and North Henry Streets
- 10, 100 and 200 blocks of West Gilman Street
- 600 and 700 blocks of State Street
- 500 and 600 blocks of Lake Street
- Langdon Street between Lake Street and Wisconsin Avenue
The Madison Police Department and UW Homecoming Committee will be monitoring traffic and have the right to refuse entry to any streets during this time.
The Homecoming Parade is planned and executed by UW–Madison students. It follows a week of student competitions and fostering connections among alumni, student groups and the Madison community.
The UW Homecoming Parade is free and open to the public. Viewers are invited to watch along Gilman and State Streets as classic cars, floats, the UW Marching Band and Bucky Badger bring UW cheer to the heart of the campus neighborhood.
A post-parade pep rally at Memorial Union will feature a Fifth Quarter performance by the UW Marching Band, free concerts, and a scheduled appearance by Badgers football coach Gary Andersen.
For more about UW Homecoming, visit uwalumni.com/homecoming.