The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (WFAA)*, the private fundraising and alumni relations organization for the University of Wisconsin-Madison, is seeking an experienced development profession to help develop and implement the major gifts program benefitting the University of Wisconsin’s Hillel chapter (UW Hillel). While employed by WFAA, the successful candidate will work hand-in-hand with the Executive Director of UW Hillel, its staff and board, coordinating efforts with WFAA and UW Hillel staff as appropriate.
Founded in 1924 as only the second Hillel Foundation in the world, UW Hillel provides a home for more than 4,000 Jewish students attending the University of Wisconsin – Madison. UW Hillel is a pluralistic organization supporting all of the Jewish movements as authentic expressions of Jewish Life. UW Hillel engages students, cultivates a Jewish community, develops leaders, complements the classroom, and embodies Jewish values, all from its new building which includes a gym, café, and meeting and event spaces.
The successful candidate will be part of envisioning and cultivating donors for a future campaign leading up to UW Hillel’s 100th Anniversary in 2024. Whether it is raising funds for student engagement and education programs or building endowments to support outreach and infrastructure, this position presents an opportunity to work with graduates and friends of UW Hillel and the University of Wisconsin – Madison from across the country, while affecting the very future of UW Hillel and the students who depend on it.
The Director of Development will work collaboratively to accomplish the following objectives:
- Work with the leadership of UW Hillel and WFAA to identify priorities and opportunities, and to design and champion strategic plans for a comprehensive development program.
- Self-direct prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and management of a portfolio of potential and current donors, with a focus on leadership annual and major gifts that advance UW Hillel’s strategic priorities.
- Plan and conduct visits and other ongoing contacts that link potential donors with UW Hillel’s programs and development needs.
- Write and compile occasional grant applications.
- Develop and maintain strategies to enhance donor stewardship.
- Serve as an active partner with the UW Hillel Board of Directors, from a group and individual basis.
- Effectively navigate relationships with and between UW Hillel, WFAA, other UW-Madison programs, and other constituents.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree; master’s degree in marketing, communication, non-profit management or higher education preferred.
- Three or more years of fund development experience, with a proven record of raising major gifts and working successfully with high net worth individuals.
- A passion for and commitment to helping advance the mission and programs of the University of Wisconsin and UW Hillel through increased philanthropic support.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Self-directed, team player who has a strong, results-oriented, work ethic.
- Willingness and ability to meet independent travel requirements (approx. 25%).
Final appointment will be made at the Director or Senior Director level depending on experience and qualifications. WFAA and UW Hillel are open to candidates working , especially those in New York City, Chicago, or Los Angeles. This is a full-time position involving travel. We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefits program, including 10% employer contribution to 401k after 1 year of employment! Current WFAA Directors of Development at any level are eligible to transfer laterally, maintaining their current job title and salary.
The Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association and UW Hillel are committed to building an inclusive community free of social bias and exclusion. WFAA and UW Hillel recognize the value of diversity in persons and in perspectives; value people and the differences that they bring to the organization; and strive to create an environment in which all staff members feel respected personally and professionally, and have opportunities in which to thrive. All positions within both organizations will be called on to contribute to building this environment. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage all qualified individuals to apply, regardless of religious affiliation.