Requirements for WAA-Recognized Chapters
Download the Chapter Check-List as a print ready PDF
- Submit your leadership roster. (WAA provides an online form through which chapters update the names, positions, and demographic profiles of their board members.)
- Direct all alumni communications through WAA email systems. This is very important. Chapters may not contact local alumni through their own email channels, although they may — and should — have their own social media accounts.
- Establish a board of directors.
- Ensure that chapter officers are UW-Madison alumni and WAA members.
- Use WAA-branded logos and materials for all communications and promotional materials at events.
- Host a Founders’ Day event annually.
- Carry out ongoing fundraising efforts to fund a scholarship program, which will be matched by the UW Foundation.
- Do not charge chapter dues.
WAA Support for All Official Chapters
Chapters help WAA to get the word out about UW-Madison around the globe, and WAA knows that you can’t do it alone. That’s why the WAA team provides you with quality services and support.
- Matching-Dollar Scholarship Program (up to $10,000 annually) and support
- Free email distribution to your local alumni
- Chapter website and support
- Free promotional materials and staff support for WAA-related events
- Registration support for Founders’ Day celebrations and Badger Student Send-Off Celebrations
- Founders’ Day planning, invitation printing, and mailing to local alumni
- Founders’ Day speaker support
- Badger Student Send-Off Celebration invitation printing and mailing to incoming students
- Registration support for select, predetermined events
- Demographic data about alumni in your area
- Maintaining the Chapter Leader Handbook
- Chapter-leader communications
- Chapter-leader training
- Assigned WAA staff person
- WAA- and university-branded items and materials for some events and social media
- Branded nametags
- Marketing assistance
- Free business cards
- Lifelong-learning coordination and support
- Some social-media content
- Event-coordination support (career networking, educational, cultural)
Administrative Chapter Check-List for Running Your Chapter
- Submit address changes and alumni-contact updates to WAA.
- Submit your bylaws to WAA and update them as necessary.
- Use a WAA-hosted chapter website.
- Use a WAA chapter logo.
- Hold at least one board meeting each year.
- Promote some or all of the following WAA programs and corporate events:
- Alumni career-development opportunities
- Alumni for Wisconsin/advocacy initiatives
- Badger Student Send-Off Celebration
- Welcome to the City
- WAA award programs (Badger of the Year Award, Distinguished Alumni Award, Forward under 40 Award)
- The Red Shirt™
- Hold one nonathletic event (not including Founders’ Day or Badger Student Send-Off Celebration).
- Use the WAA calendar to post events in a timely manner.
- Sponsor a Founders’ Day event.
- Have at least one chapter leader participate in WAA leadership training.
- Inform your WAA chapter representative about the major decisions and developments of your board.
- Maintain active and prompt communication with your WAA staff liaison.
- Carry out an active scholarship program through fundraising and awarding scholarship(s).
- Establish a leadership-succession plan.